Joseph Parker fired back at Anthony Joshua on Twitter after the British-born Nigerian explained why he couldn’t knock him out during their world heavyweight unification fight, Stuff.co.nz reports.

Joshua beat Parker by unanimous points in Cardiff on April 1 to add the Kiwi’s WBO belt to his IBF and WBA versions.

It was the first time in 21 fights the 28-year-old British boxing star had failed to knock out an opponent.

Former WBO champion  Parker seized on Joshua’s comments, made during at a chat session with fans in London, in which he said he wished he had “knocked him out”, tweeting,  “Acting like the knockout was an option”.

The former WBO champion included an emoji with tears of joy alongside his cheeky response.

Joshua admitted the pre-fight hype from Team Parker around his supposed “glass chin” and talk of the Kiwi’s wide range of skills had him doubting his own abilities.

 There was also the distraction of the ongoing talk around a bigger fight with American Deontay Wilder. Joshua decided it was better to play it safe against the Kiwi and adopt a more conservative approach, turning to his boxing skills rather than his noted power.

“When people were telling me, ‘Parker is quick you know, he can fight,’ I was thinking, ‘He can, I’m going to get banged out in this fight’,” Joshua said.

“It was a hard situation I found myself in because I was fighting (Parker)  but everyone was already talking about the next two fights (Wilder and Tyson Fury)so everyone is thinking I’m going to walk through these guys. I started having pressure on myself and I didn’t want to make any mistakes.

“I think I sacrificed my boxing entertainment, that risk-it-all mindset I had. Looking back at my last fight, I lost it in that fight because I was so focused on just boxing performance – hit, don’t get hit and control the fight – and there were times in there where I thought, ‘Ah let me explode on this guy’ then (thought), ‘Woah, woah, I have to think about Wilder next, let me get back to doing what I’m doing’ and in a way it was good because now when Wilder steps up, I’m going to take it to him hard.”

He added, “For 20 fights I catered for the knockout audience and I said for this one (Parker) I’m going to cater for the boxing experts, stick behind my jab and do it the old school way.”

 



Share To:

Unknown

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours